Thursday, March 5, 2009

Live from Trinidad

Before the start of the U-20 CONCACAF Championship in Trinidad & Tobago, U.S. Soccer full-time referee Ricardo Salazar checked in from the Caribbean...

Well, as our U20 team is here on the island of Tobago I am Trinidad ready for the tournament to start. CJ Morgante and I are here representing U.S. referees. Most everyone arrived on Wednesday and we had referee meetings. We covered many things to make sure we are all on the same page. We watched video clips and the instructors commented on what was done correctly and what could have been handled differently. All clips were taken from CONCACAF’s Champions League and I made two of the many clips. As a referee you don’t want to see yourself on the big screen, but fortunately they mostly had good things to say. It is funny, as you are sitting in this room they just start the clip and you have no idea what is coming. It isn’t that bad as they are using the clips to better the referees.

Today, we had a light day. After breakfast, we relaxed by the pool. The major task of the day was going to inspect the stadium. We got to see the stadium and get a workout in as we have a few days before games start here in Trinidad. CJ and I work on Monday, Trinidad and Tobago against Costa Rica. One of the most difficult things while at these tournaments is waiting for you match. I have Match 4 in our group….this means I have to sit through three games before getting to work. It would be nice to work the first day but it is also nice to see the teams and figure out how teams are playing. I will scout the teams that I will referee just like a coach would if he was getting ready to play that team. Some of the things I will be looking for: formations, creative players, hard players among others. I will be checking in as the days go on so check back in a few days. The weather is nice here ; )

Ricardo Salazar from Trinidad

No comments: